Wednesday, February 14, 2007

SOAPBOX DIATRIBE PT.II

Dear Faithful Readers,

Prepare yourselves for an onry oration. Subject: Valentine's Day (of course).

I have never been fanatical about V-Day. I do not harbour bitter irate resentment towards this day because of some deep psychologically scarring event from my past. In fact, I've received my fair share of hearts, chocolates and flowers. However, I have made a conscious decision, at nineteen, to ignore the holiday.

It's not because I'm hostile and madden by the outpouring of people's romantic displays. I'm all for whatever helps folks spread more love in the world. But I feel that capitalizing on this movement tarnishes its effect.

The significance and pressure of the holiday was ingrained in our prepubescent hearts and minds, before we become cognisant of the freedom surrounding love, society swooped in and took our minds hostage and brainwashed us with all the formalities surrounding love. Must buy, must receive, must state in the most opulent fashion: LOVE.

It's the concept behind the holiday, the idea that love doesn’t count unless it’s grand, expensive and romantic. It's the perfect commercial cash grab: Romance by Guilt.

In addition, I refuse to support a psychologically damaging holiday, where one is left to feel unimportant and unloved.

1. Elementary School: the one with the least Valentine's card from classmates equals unloved?
2. Junior/High School: the one without the heart-o-grams/flower-o-grams equals unloved?
3. Adulthood: the one not struck by Cupid's arrow equals unloved?

Love gifts should not validate our existence. Our ability to give love freely validates our existence.

I believe in hugs, kisses and kind gestures on a daily basis. I partake in the romance of small simple acts and whispered words of adoration at the most unexpected moments. I believe in saying "I Love You" often and to everyone whom I care for.

If we need a holiday to remind us to love others... should we be loved?

3 comments:

Out Of My Element said...

I'm with you on that one lady!! My husband and I have never made a big deal out of the big Valentine's Day. In fact, the only time in my life that it was a big deal was during my 4 years of being single.

alicetn said...

Amen sista! It makes people think that if they express their love for someone on this day (i.e. giving big expensive gifts) that should be enough for the whole year. I much more appreciate the random acts of love if you know what I mean.

alison said...

AMEN!!!