Sunday, September 10, 2006

I WEEP


There are events in history that are so frightfully horrifying that they have a way of stopping time. When asked five years later, what you were doing the morning of September 11, 2001, you can respond without hesitation. Most of us can’t remember what we had for breakfast yesterday, but we can remember exactly what we were doing five years ago on that date. It was early on a sunny Tuesday, I was in the CBC building, downtown Toronto, with resume in hand looking for my first big break in the film and television industry, before long, my career was the furthest thought on my mind.

Heavy Heart.

In May, David and I were in New York. Our experience at Ground Zero was overwhelming. We stood staring in silence, overcome by the sorrow that seeped into the very marrow of our being.

Laboured Breath.

I wish I could capture in words the significance of visiting ground zero, or articulate the emotions that ground zero evokes, but I cannot.

Inarticulate Speech.

In place of words, there were tears. I wept. I wept at the sight of every name I read on the memorial wall. I wept at the sight of the gaping hole, where the Towers once stood triumphantly. I wept at the sight of the cross that stands defiantly at ground zero.

Sustained Hope.


I am not a follower of Christianity, but I do believe this cross transcend religious confines. It is a symbol of hope, guiding us ALL through times of such devastation. It is not about being Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist; it is about being Human, and respecting the life of our fellow Human beings. It is about peace.

World Peace.

3 comments:

Out Of My Element said...

I woke up after both towers had already fallen. I turned on the radio and without listening, I knew something had happened. It was silent.

I turned on the television to the sight of the second tower falling. I switched the channel assuming it was a movie. Channel after channel there were images of the horrible terrorist attack.

My heart sunk at the thought of all those lives lost. I was heading off to work, just as all those people had done hours before me. I couldn't help but have the eerie feeling that it could happen to us too.

You are right Anna, no one will ever forget what they were doing the moment they first saw those planes hit.

It still makes my heart sink.

Tatyana said...

i visited the world trade centre a few years prior to 9/11 and have a photo taken at the top with my sister -- all smiles. It is scary to think that I stood where no one will stand again, and how many lives were lost in those buildings....

Hubert Nation said...

A very surreal moment. A very somber place.