Wednesday, April 30, 2008

REALITY?! TV

Since I've been one month jobless, I've become a TV whore. Specifically reality (I use this term very lightly) TV: Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, America's Next Top Model, The Hills,The Bachelor...

In every scene, with every interaction and with every reaction I find myself questioning the legitimacy of the "narrative".

I know first hand and I am aware second hand the effects editing has on manipulating a show/story's outcome. Frequently, facts, truths and reality lay abandoned on the cutting room floor in exchange for glamourous, amourous and outrageous results.

I say this, with my mind on and in anticipation of, an old friend's participation in a new reality show. I know she's chosen her words carefully and monitored her reactions conscientiously, but as I understand television requires a story and every story requires a cast of characters. I wonder how her "character" will play out on TV.

No comments: