Tuesday, August 22, 2006

NERD ALERT

At least once a month I force my young entrepreneurial brother to spend the day with me. As big sis, naturally I get to decide how we spend our time together. This fact is absolute and non-negotiable. It’s my inalienable right as first born to dictate the decisions of my siblings: Mike in the middle, Chris the youngest and participant of last Saturday’s Brother Sister Day. (Or as David refers to it: “BFF Day”- Yes, I’m a nerd and my brother is my BFF.)

Brother-Sister Day:

8:00 AM – Surfing the net, I’ve been up for at least half an hour. Internal clock won’t let me sleep past 7:30am.

8:30 AM – Surprised at Brother’s early arrival. Disappointed by his immediate detour to my occupied queen-size bed.

8:31 AM – He hops into bed next to a snoring David and proceeds to take a two-hour nap.

10:30AM – Tired of waiting I stomp up stairs, moaning about my hunger pains.

11:00AM – Party of three at the Sunset Grill.

12:00PM – David leaves for work. We leave for IKEA- Mecca for decorators on a budget. I want to play my iTune mix in the car, a soundtrack for our day, but… No CD player… Cassette only. GHETTO!

12:00PM – 12:10PM - I describe in detail, to an uninterested brother, my desire to build the perfect office, chosen destination: second floor, overlooking the green belt and communal pond, an ideal space to rediscover my inspiration to write and attempt to complete the stacks of unfinished scripts, the scripts that I have abandoned in lieu of blogging.

But I digress.

12:10PM – 3:10PM – three hours spent in the Ikea showroom. I have my perfect office mentally mapped out. We quickly bypass the marketplace, I can’t risk meandering through the consumer warehouse, this place has a way of successfully triggering my impulse buying button.

3:11PM – We make a bee-line for the Ikea hot dog stand. I love cheap food, well I love food in general, but when it’s edible and cheap, I love it even more.

3:20PM – We find ourselves in a familiar predicament: Who drives? Neither one of us ever wants to be the chauffeur. He says: I’m tired, I might fall asleep at the wheel. (LIE) I say: I have a headache, I’m feeling nauseous, and I have cramps (LIE). I WIN.

3:30PM – A Rogers movie rental for his Saturday night date and grocery shopping for our dinner.

4:00PM – Home and a quick nap before dinner.

7:00PM – Prepping for barbeque dinner. David joins us.

7:10PM - David and I get an impromptu serenade:

Yeah, I know, I know, I'm young....
I might be young, but I'm not too young to let you know how I feel.
I'm Joe, and I'm a Capricorn.
And if you can relate to that, then check this out.


I join in:

I wanna be loved, loved by you baby
I wanna be loved by you…


David, fearing the spread of the highly contagious NERD germs, slowly backs away, avoiding eye contact and any sudden moves.

This brings an end to BFF Day.

Note: David’s immune system is strong, but I assure you one day he too will be infected by our Nerd germs. One day he will succumb to the dark side.

P.S. Not going to divulge group or song name, for fear of greater embarrassment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup! Nerd!!

Ha ha ha...just kidding Anna. At least you make the time to spend with your family. It's the most important part of life.