Friday, August 04, 2006

SIMPLE PLEASURES

After several days of this maddening heat, we FINALLY got a break. Two days of glorious summer rain. As I walked home last night in the midst of a torrential downpour (sans umbrella), I started to think about the simple pleasures in life. I enjoy the warm summer rain beating down on my bare skin, the night sky lit by lightening and the echo of rolling thunder.

Summer rain always brings back a flood of memories from my childhood. My mom would always encourage us to play out in rain, and my siblings and I would put on our special rain costume: underwear and rain boots. We'd look for the biggest rain puddle and slosh around in it until our fingers and toes shriveled like prunes.

Simple pleasures.

2 comments:

Out Of My Element said...

You should warn your neighbours before you get into your "special rain costume'! Although, depending on the underwear, you might be able to pull of the rubber boot look!

Gypsy In My Soul said...

At this age my special rain costume is my birthday suit and a pair of spiked heeled rain boots. The neighbours are speechless!