Thursday, October 19, 2006

GOOD WITH NUMBERS


“You’re good at Sudoku cause you’re Asian.” She says.

“So?”

“Your people invented it, you’re all good with numbers.” She replied.

She was racially stereotyping me because:

A) She has limited experiences with Asians
B) She is overtly racist
C) She’s incredibly ignorant
D) All of the above

I waved her off, not caring to correct her erroneous conclusions about Asians, which I’m positive she gathered from watching “my people” being portrayed in the media (huge bone of contention).

For her information: I’m good at Sudoku, because I like solving logic puzzles, not because I’m good with numbers.

Case in point: This week at work, it took the Payroll Accountant three tries on three separate occasions to get me to understand the mathematics involved in calculating the background performers’ payment. (It's really harder than it sounds. My head was spinning for hours, but I finally got it… Yay me!) Production accounting was supposed to be logical, not mathematical… someone lied to me!

I hate math. In fact, there are numerous high school journal entries pleading to the Numbers God to bless me with the brains to understand math, or at least let me scrape by with a passing grade. It never happened. I hate math.

3 comments:

alison said...

it's ironic that you work in a field where you are surrounded by numbers when you hate math.

cause you know when there are numbers, math is sure to follow.

wurd.

hope you're smiling. :)

might be working at TFS starting on the 30th - conveniently right near you - let's hook it up. and if i can, i will save you from the creepy neighbourhood at night.

hugs.

Anonymous said...

So, I was at McD's and in order to claim my free small fries, I had to answer a "skill-testing" question. I was kindly reminded by the cashier that 48 minus 18 isn't 20. Apparently, trying to live the stereotype by working in finances didn't make a real math whiz out of me either! Now stop revealing all these truths... my earnings are based on these myths! By the way, Great Blog and I was so glad to see you again at Mike's and Andrea's!

Anonymous said...

well hi...nancy told me about your blog...i actually logged on before when mike was advertising it on his IM. I was like, who is this crazy math loving asian chicka...now it all makes sense :D...it was great seeing you and dave again as well. The other Nguyen's don't really put up much of a fight when I tease them :D

-cliff