Sunday, November 05, 2006

GREAT JUMPING JEHOSAPHAT

When my brother and his fiancée asked me if I wanted to be a bridesmaid, it wasn't exactly an offer I could refuse (actually, I did once, but he’s my brother and love overcame irritation). On June 16th, 2007, I will be walking down the aisle as a brides-matron (brides-matron sounds so homely, but I can’t truly call myself a bridesmaid, I’m married).

Yesterday, the plans were set in motion, bridesmaid dress shopping.

The boundaries given to me for this dress search was: one common style in the colour Purple.

This shopping expedition brought back memories of my own quest for the elusive “perfect prom dress”. Only this time, I did not get to make the sole decision; it was a hunt for a unanimous selection.

Five girls, five differing body types, seven dress styles, one affordable dress and one particular bride-to-be, the odds were stacked against us.

I wanted to choose something not hideous, and perhaps a dress that would be voluntarily wearable again on subsequent occasions.

I’m very particular in my way of formal dressing. I gravitate toward simple timeless elegance. No ruffling, no swooshing, no gathering, no unnecessary detailing and nothing too boring, in a complimentary colour. Easy right?

Seven dresses were pulled off the racks. Three girls modeled, excluding myself. None of these dresses screamed “MUST HAVE”. One dress was agreeable, but only on a must compromise and make-the-bride-happy basis (for me anyway).

Then suddenly, “THE” dress floated towards us, swaying elegantly on the hanger in the hands of a sales associate. A dress I would have chosen for myself, barring any other influences. Three girls modeled, including myself. I loved the fit on the other girls and I loved the fit on me.

Great Jumping Jehosaphat, we all agreed on one dress, at the very first store… and we were allowed to get it in BLACK!!!

Huge sigh of relief.

So now what? Now we price shop.

1 comment:

Lux Life said...

Aww...that's a pretty dress!!!