Sunday, December 03, 2006

CHOOSE WISE WORDS

I am a word snob, English and foreign languages alike.

I like knowing the etymology and semantics of words, its origin, interpretation and relationship to other language form. This comprehension of words makes learning new languages manageable (I'm in the process of learning Spanish, understanding the relation of Spanish words to French, Latin or English makes it easier for me to remember).

The more I write, the more I find myself in a greater search for more succinct and precise usage of words. An endless search for the absolute perfect words to convey my thoughts or images flawlessly.

"Choose your words wisely", advice taken to heart in my writing and in my conversation.

Conversation, however, is always subjective, what you mean and what is interpreted are not always one in the same. Therefore, even in speech I often choose words that leave little room for misinterpretation. I mean what I say, and I say what I mean (but this doesn't mean that I always say what I think, for THAT would definitely get me into trouble).

"What do you mean?" and "Do you know what I mean?" are questions that are often heard in my dialogue with others. Regardless of my constant usage of these phrases, dimwits, who discard my query of comprehension, have often misinterpreted me.

Speech should not be an attempt to string some random words together in hopes of being understood. Recognize what you're saying and what others say to you. If you don't "get it", for god sakes, ask for clarification.

Long blog short: I'm tired of dealing with Idiots. I give up. You try; see if you can get any further than me.

No comments: