Sunday, December 31, 2006

TAKING STOCK

It's the eve of the beginning of a brand new year. It's time to look back, to take stock, to give life a good self-evaluation.

There's a lot about myself and my life that I love... and there's a lot that I'd like to improve upon.

What perfect timing, a fresh start, a brand new year. It's time to make resolutions, to aspire to be a better person and to make the world I/we inhabit a better place.

Every New Year, since junior high school, I have written a letter addressed to my Guardian Angel. (I cringe in embarrassment having admitted that.. but I was eleven when I started this tradition. Mock if you feel compelled to do so, but remember, you are mocking a wide-eyed, optimistic, innocent, effervescent eleven year old girl... which would make you a cold-hearted, callous, grim human being.) These letters would include my hopes, dreams and desires for the New Year. It would principally be a selfish list of endeavours, but on occasion the list would include dreams, hopes and desires for others whom I felt needed assistance. The letter would be sealed, kept unopened and safe until the following year.

A past year's letter opening required a new year's letter sealing.

This has been my twenty-one year discreet tradition. Divulged to no one, not even my husband... and now exposed to all my readers. (Blogging sure has a way of eliciting secrets.)

Question: Why, share this information?

Answer: To inspire others.

1) I think that it's a great undertaking, a cathartic release of pent up desires, hopes and fears about an undefined future.

2) It's also a great method for self-evaluation, to compare your old list to the year that you've lived. Do items that you once thought important a year ago still hold the same significance? Have you achieved what you had hoped for in the past year?

3) It's fun.

I'm not going to share my 2007 Dreams, Hopes and Desire List with you, (that would be breaking tradition) but I do hope that you start your own.

CHEERS!
Happy New Year Everyone!
Here's to a joyous and promising New Year!

2 comments:

alicetn said...

You're lucky I'm a bum right now and have no desire to do work leaving me with plenty of time to read and respond to your blogs. I never knew you were so superstitious.

I guess I could take your advice and write a letter of my own but I think I might take me a year to right. What can I say, I'm driven, wishful, ambitious, and selfish :).

Out Of My Element said...

I love your tradition! I did the same thing, except not to a guardian angel when I was younger, however I broke the tradition years ago. You MAY have inspired me to start again...depends how busy I get.